can you speak better than her?lol

Saturday, February 14, 2009

English euphemisms

Some subjects are considered personal, sensitive or taboo in English. For this reason, people avoid mentioning them by name and instead use a "euphemism" or humorous expression to refer to them. Here are some common euphemisms in English.


To refer to death
pass away: "Her uncle passed away last year."
fight a long battle with: "He fought a long battle with cancer."

Humorous expressions to refer to death


meet your maker: "He's gone to meet his maker."
six feet under: "I won't worry about money When I'm six feet under."
pushing up daisies: "Last I heard about him, he's pushing up daisies."
in your / his / my box: "When I'm in my box you can argue all you like about the inheritance."
snuff it: "I've heard that poor old Ernie has snuffed it."
popped his clogs: "Harold popped his clogs last year."
kick the bucket: "So Joe has finally kicked the bucket."

Animal euthanasia
put down: "We had to put our cat down as she was very ill."
put an end to its suffering: "We put an end to her suffering."

To refer to the bathroom
restroom: "Can I use the restroom?"
Where can I wash my hands?

public conveniences: "Are there any public conveniences nearby?"
ladies / gents: "The ladies and gents are down the corridor on your right."
Can I use your bathroom?


Humorous expressions to refer to the bathroom


the bog: "He's in the bog."
the smallest room of the house: "I'd like to pay a visit to the smallest room of the house."
powder my nose: "Where can I powder my nose?"
see a man about a dog: "He's gone to see a man about a dog."

Other themes
Unemployment


between jobs: "Steve is between jobs at the moment."
a resting actor: "Harry's a resting actor." (Only use for unemployed actors.)

Pregnancy


in the family way: "She was in the family way, so they got married."
have a bun in the oven: "Have you heard that Katy has a bun in the oven?"

Drunk


tired and emotional: "The newspaper said the president was tired and emotional."
have a bit too much to drink: "He had a bit too much to drink last night."
to be a bit worse for wear: "He was a bit worse for wear by the time he came home."
to have over-indulged: "I think he over-indulged in the free beer at the party."

Lying
economical with the truth: "The boss is known for being economical with the truth."

Arguments


full and frank discussion: "The directors had a full and frank discussion in the meeting."
have words with someone: "Those two have had words."

Being poor


be disadvantaged: "The government is introducing new schemes to help the disadvantaged."
financially embarrassed: "I'm afraid I can't come to the restaurant with you. I'm financially embarrassed at the moment."

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template