can you speak better than her?lol

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Idioms S

save up = save; save money for a purpose
I'm trying to save up money for a new car.

scare away = scare; frighten
Many farmers think that a scarecrow can frighten away birds that will eat their crops.

set up = to create something, usually for a purpose.
They set their tent up outside of a wooded area.

show up = arrive, go or come to a place; often used for appointments or work.
He always shows up late at meetings.
Sometimes he never shows up.

so far = up until now
They've only completed one wall on this house so far.

sort of = a little; in some small way
Those clouds look sort of like smoke.
I'm sort of tired. I think I'll go to bed now.

stick with = to continue doing something; not to quit or give up
The fist bump is becoming popular in the U.S., but I think I'll stick with the traditional handshake.

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template